New The Exeter HealthWise App features – how do they help customers?
One of the most popular benefits provided by health and life insurance provider The Exeter is their HealthWise app. This app is available to all of The Exeter’s customers and provides access to great health and well-being support services. Now, The Exeter is adding even more value for money for their customers by expanding the features available on HealthWise.
In a recent update, The Exeter announced range of new additions for their app which includes unlimited access to remote GP appointments and a brand new NHS repeat prescription service.
If we’re being honest, we all like getting something extra with our insurance policies and I think it’s great that The Exeter continually re-evaluates what they’re offering to make sure they are providing the best value for their members.
QUICK SUMMARY – New The Exeter HealthWise App features – how do they help customers?
The Exeter have added some great new features (and improved some old ones) to make their HealthWise app bigger better than ever. But how do these features improve user experience and health support for The Exeter customers?
- You can now book an unlimited amount of online GP appointments per year through the HealthWise app for customers and immediate family members (e.g. partner or children)
- The new Health MOT service is a great addition for at home health assessments (but be aware it’s only available to the main policyholder!)
- The NHS repeat prescription service is a useful add on for people who sometimes have trouble accessing their medication on time. You can order both NHS and private prescriptions using the HealthWise app.
- You will need a smartphone or tablet to access the HealthWise app – not ideal for customers without access to these gadgets or with no internet connection. It would be useful for The Exeter to provide alternative ways to access this service in the future to cater to more vulnerable customers.
- The HealthWise app is available for all The Exeter life insurance, health insurance, and income protection insurance customers to download and use 24/7.
What does HealthWise do for The Exeter customers?
The HealthWise app is an extra benefit that is included free for customers of The Exeter and it provides online access to:
- Unlimited remote GP appointments which can take place through phone call or video depending on what the user prefers – NEW FEATURE (change to unlimited access)
- Online health advice and guidance and online GPs can issue prescriptions where they are needed
- Access to second medical opinions for reassurance or to help work out a new treatment plan
- Up to 6 physiotherapy consultations per year
- Up to 6 mental health support consultations per year
- Up to 6 registered dietician consultations per year
- Up to 6 lifestyle and nutrition consultations per year
- One FREE health MOT kit per year (for the main policy holder) – NEW FEATURE
- Can order both private and NHS repeat prescriptions through the HealthWise app – NEW FEATURE
The app looks pretty user friendly and simple for customers to use, as can be seen in the screenshot below from the Apple App Store website.
How does The Exeter’s HealthWise app work?
If you want to use The Exeter’s HealthWise app you will need to download it on your smartphone or tablet.
There are links on their website which will conveniently take you straight through to either the Google Play store for Android users or the App Store for Apple users. It’s a free app but you will need to put in your policy details to activate your account.
The app was developed in partnership with SquareHealth who has also helped to develop apps for larger insurance companies like Aviva. So, if you were worried about quality this might reassure you that the app is likely to work well and be worth downloading.
How does the new The Exeter Health MOT service work?
One of the best new innovations in my opinion is The Exeter’s Health MOT service which allows you to have one health screening at home every year. It is a simple finger prick test which is sent out for you to complete and send back to The Exeter for your results.
This test checks for 20 markers of potential illnesses or medical conditions to encourage earlier diagnosis and better treatment outcomes. Just a few examples of what the test could flag up includes:
- Cholesterol levels
- Liver function
Members are sent a personalised report after their test has been processed which will recommend if you need a follow up appointment with a GP.
The main downside here is that the app is only available to the main policy holder, so your family members can’t benefit in the same way as being to use the online GP service.
Is HealthWise accessible for all The Exeter’s customers?
While HealthWise is a great service provided by The Exeter, it’s fair to ask if there are any improvements that can be made. My main concern would be the accessibility of this service and if The Exeter is providing fair value for all of their customers.
This app is solely available for smartphones and tablets so if you don’t have either (or have no internet access), you wouldn’t be able to use the app. This does flag up as something that I think The Exeter could improve in terms of having some or all of the resources available elsewhere e.g. through the website or by calling The Exeter customer services.
While I understand the app is more convenient for many people, my thoughts go out to the vulnerable customers who can’t access the app. These customers would potentially miss out on one the biggest extra benefits that The Exeter provides their members with.
Is it worth buying The Exeter policies just for the HealthWise app?
Honestly, I would say that it’s not worth buying a policy from The Exeter just for this app alone. While it does offer some great features and benefits to The Exeter members, other insurance providers also have similar apps available such as:
- AIG (Smart Health) – Provided in partnership with Teladoc Health
- Aviva (Aviva DigiCare+) – Provided in partnership with Square Health
- AXA Health (AXA Doctor at Hand) – Provided in partnership with Doctor Care Anywhere
- Legal & General (Health365) – Provided in partnership with Teladoc Health
- LV (My Healthy Advantage) – Provided in partnership with Health Assured
- Royal London (Helping Hand) – Provided in partnership with Health Hero
- Scottish Widows (Clinic in a Pocket) – Provided in partnership with Square Health
- Vitality (Vitality GP UK) – Provided in partnership with Livi
- Zurich (ZGP24) – Provided in partnership with Health Hero
I’d always suggest looking at what an insurance provider is offering on a whole and not focusing too much on one particular benefit. The most important thing is to make sure you are happy with the policy you are buying before anything else. You should definitely:
- Think carefully about what you want from your cover (and your insurance provider)
- Check independent customer reviews (like those found on TrustPilot) to work out what current customers think about the products and services
- Compare quotes and policy features across multiple providers to make sure you get the right cover at the lowest price.
How do I get The Exeter HealthWise app?
The only people who will be able to download and use The Exeter’s HealthWise app are current customers of The Exeter. You have access to the app whether you have a life insurance, income protection or health insurance policy.
Anyone who isn’t a current The Exeter member should think carefully before buying a policy and be certain they are happy with The Exeter as a provider overall. While the app provides useful features, it shouldn’t be the only reason you choose The Exeter as your insurance provider.
If you have been thinking about buying cover with The Exeter but you’re not sure if they’re the right fit, it can be useful to speak to an insurance specialist for help and advice.
You can contact our trusted insurance partners for guidance on 0800 009 6559 or by clicking here.